Saturday, December 8, 2007

Filming in Sunset Park!

DSCN2291


DSCN2287B


DSCN2290B


DSCN2293B

While walking on 8th Avenue by 44th street. I stumbled on a group of French Film students shooting a scene for a short film entitled "Playground". When it will be out, I have no clue. One of the starring actors in it is a guy named William Otterson. They are in fine company. Sunset Park has been the scene of many a film shoot. Off the top of my head I can think of many episodes of "Hill Street Blues" that were shot here as well as most recently, "The Honeymooners", "Crocodile Dundee", "Sunset Park" that I can remember off the top of my head. I am sure some out there can come up with more films that have been shot in the nabe.

[where: 11232]

1 comment:

Escape from Sunset Park said...

The movie that stands out in my mind was "Out for Justice" with Steven Segal. They shot a great chase scene driving under the elevated Gowanus along 3rd Ave - the cars drove right down the center thru the parking area. The theme song by the Allman Brothers even had a line "It was after dark in Sunset Park" - lol, didn't take a genius to do that rhyme. Around 1970, the movie "The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight", based on the Jimmy Breslin novel was shot in the old precinct building on 43rd Street & 4th. The tv series Third Watch shot a scene in front of Key Food on 5th Avenue & 44th St - the scene had a huge fire and explosion destroying the store...lol.
That reminds me, the Segal movie renovated the empty store on 52nd & 5th for a major scene - they made it into an Italian Pork Store - today it is a pizzeria/ice cream store.

What was the scene in the movie Sunset Park - I thought the movie was all shot in california?